When it comes to Luxury Linens the first thought that pops up in everyone’s mind is “high thread count Egyptian cotton sheets”.
That’s for a good reason as Egyptian cotton is indeed world’s finest cotton quality available. There are some truly unique technical specs that set Egyptian cotton apart from other natural fibers:
- The humid conditions and rich soil in Egypt along the Nile River banks create the perfect conditions to grow long cotton fibers (also known as staples).
- The staples of Egyptian cotton can range from 1 1/2 inches to 2 1/4 inches. Their long length is about twice the size of other cotton fibers.
- The length of the fiber makes it possible to spin the finest yarns without sacrificing the strength of the yarn itself.
- The strength of the fiber makes fabrics more durable and resistant to stress.
- Its ability to absorb liquids gives Egyptian cotton sheets deeper, brighter and more resistant colors.
- The yarns are smooth and lustrous and the softness of the woven fabric feels like nothing else, crafted in world’s finest luxury linens.
- Egyptian cotton is hand picked which guarantees the highest levels of purity. In addition, hand picking puts no stress on the fibers – as opposed to mechanical picking – leaving the fibers straight and intact.
- The particular care in terms of the cultivation process, and the hand harvesting, ensures that the cotton is perfectly clean at every stage of the growth cycle. The cotton is gathered by hand at 5 specific stages of its life in order to select only fully ripe seeds. This meticulousness yields a perfect quality yarn: its long and ripe fibers give exceptionally soft and silky luxury linens with a truly outstanding quality.
All these factors have resulted in Egyptian cotton being by far the best cotton in the world. Fabrics made of Egyptian Cotton are softer, finer, last longer than any other cotton in the world and are crafted into exquisite luxury linens.
If all this is true for sure about Egyptian cotton sheets, there is also a dark side of misleading information (a.k.a. lies) that should be properly taken into account before making any luxury linens purchasing decision:
- “Made in Egypt” bed linens does not mean Egyptian cotton sheets. On the contrary most of the Egyptian made bedding products are not likely to be made of Egyptian cotton at all since premium Egyptian cotton fibers are available in scarce quantity and grown in small lots for export use only.
- Egyptian cotton, due to its high cost, is often mixed and woven with lower cotton qualities that somehow undermine all of its fabulous characteristics. More often Egyptian cotton is only used in a very small percentage not clearly specified on products label. Only true 100% Egyptian cotton sheets would deliver those great benefits making really outstanding luxury linens.
- Egyptian cotton is not directly related to very high thread count as 1000TC and above. It is true on one hand that only very fine gauge yarn such as Extra long staple Egyptian cotton fibers can be tightly woven into high thread count luxury linens fabrics. Still on the other hand such densely woven fabrics may result in heavy and thick bed sheets while a lighter and more breathable texture could be more comfortable. Usually 300TC and 400TC Egyptian cotton sheets are finer and softer than many other super high thread count luxury linens.
- It can be misleading to evaluate Egyptian Cotton luxury linens just by touching and feeling a sample cloth of fabric in a store as there are many other cotton qualities that can be nice and soft as well (such as Pima). Egyptian cotton though deploys most of its great characteristics in the long run after year of use and endless washings. It even gets smoother and softer with time while the other linens just get ripped off and must be thrown away.
- Egyptian cotton luxury linens are expensive. It costs money to achieve the greatest quality and that’s what a higher price tag stands for.
In the end luxury linens shall be considered as any other investment in durable assets. The R.O.I. will outstrip the initial cost with spectacular comfort for years to come.
Egyptian cotton sheets are luxury linens perfection!